For this print series, I used another photograph I took while I was studying abroad in England. I took this picture of the city’s Cathedral while standing on the walls (subject of my mono print). This series took a few trails to finalize. For the first round, I started by printing my last layer as a stencil to guide me in registering my next layers. I used Photoshop to polarize my original image to get a few colors to use and made a transparency for each of these layers. I had five layers and it became too dense. I also had a really hard time registering my final layer with my original stencil layer. When I first did this, I imagined a more painterly effect, but silk screen doesn’t really create that. After group feedback, I decided I needed to go in a different direction. I did this by changing the colors and simplifying the layers. Instead of using fives layers, I only used two layers without starting with the stencil. This took away the complication of exact registration and added depth without being too much. Just the pencil sketch of the Cathedral is a powerful image alone and I was originally trying to add too much. The change of color is what really transformed my print. I was trying to use the same colors as my mono print, but I decided it needed to be much lighter. I went from dark green to a light, mossy green and from black to gray. I used these two colors to create a gradient for the background. The gradient simulates the fog and mistiness of English weather. The gradient was my first layer that provided the depth of the piece. For my second layer, I used a dark green in some pieces and a dark gray in others to overlay the gradient. Both of these colors add a different effect to the image. The dark green shows a type of refinement in the detail, while the gray has a more ghostly/misty appearance. I think the pencil sketch/line work also adds to the foggy appearance. It’s as if there is a layer of fog that blurs the values in the image and the only thing left to see if the edges. The lines also help with composition. The lines lead the viewer’s eye all around the page to look at every detail of the Cathedral. My favorite of these three pieces is the top left one. The gradient on this piece has hints of green all the way through, making it look like there is moss on the building which there is in real life. One of my main goals was to emphasize the atmosphere of England and the detail of the Cathedral and I think this piece captures that the best.
This image also represents my time in England and how it changed my future plans, as did my mono print. I wanted to continue with this theme because it is such a hot topic in my life right now. It also shows a bit more than that. The Cathedral was one of my favorite places in the city. I visited several times and always found something new in the architecture, the art, and the people. The detail of the building in person is the detail I tried to capture in my series. It’s a beautiful building where I spent several afternoons so it seemed fitting in my England portfolio.
For this series, I was inspired by Jennifer Bartlett. Her silk screens were full of detail. One of my favorite aspects of silk screens is the possibility for detail and Bartlett’s piece showed me how the detailed pieces can be just a great as the bold and simplistic pieces. I was also inspired by Taylor from class. She was the one who gave me the idea to create the gradient effect to capture the foggy essence of England and that’s when everything clicked into place. I was stuck after my first attempt at this series, but her feedback gave me the push I needed to clarify my ideas. Overall, Jennifer Bartlett and Taylor provided me with inspiration to create a piece I am happy with.